Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Librarian: A Day in the Life, Day 2

Today was not as hectic as yesterday. I started my new part-time job as a Temporary Reference Librarian at Texas State University. Most of the day was spent doing orientation type things, like learning about the electronic ref stats keeper, RefTracker and the new chat service, RefChatter. My orientation wasn't as extensive as it might have been, because I used to work for Texas State as a library assistant about 2 years ago. I still know the majority of the people who work there, and I remember many of the procedures, so it was a bit like slipping on an old glove. But also surreal.

So the morning started out with me trying to get my parking pass, which were $138 a semester or $5 a week. Ultimately, I decided not to buy one, as I live about half a mile from campus, I'm on a shuttle route, and my boyfriend can pick me up in the evenings. Then I spent about 2 hours on the Reference Desk, where the Reference librarians (Jerry and Jan) showed me how to use RefTracker, which is kind of cool, but I know I'm going to forget to use it until I get used to it because I'm so used to the paper stat sheets. RefTracker allows you to track more specific types of questions than you could on a paper stats sheet, and it also allows you to track the resources you used and any comments you might have about a particular transaction. I also caught up with a lot of my co-workers, which was fun.

The afternoon was spent learning about the various reference chats that we use. RefChatter, Meebo, and Docutek. They are in a transition time, so Meebo and Docutek will likely be phased out by the end of the semester. Ref chatter seems like a good progam, and seems a little more user friendly than the Live Person program that we use at ACC. I look forward to playing with it. The last hour was spent out at the Ref Desk where I got to answer a few non-textbook related questions and I got to hang out with two of my favorite Librarians, Hithia and Selene. I'd missed them during my misadventures in California and I'm extremely glad to be back at Alkek Library.

This evening I'm working my regular evening shift at the Riverside Campus of Austin Community College. It is much quieter tonight than it was yesterday, but still, most of the questions are about textbooks. I suppose, in 2 weeks, I'll be whining about all the APA and MLA questions I'll be getting when the students' first papers come due. I have to say that I love Reference work more everyday, I like the students, I like the staff, I like making people's information finding lives easier.

I really enjoy all the variety that my part-time jobs provide me with. My mind is always active, I'm never bored, and each campus I work at has a different personality. I think I'm going to enjoy working these 2 jobs, but I'm keeping my eye open for a full-time Ref position. I want to teach and contribute in a real way. As an adjunct or a temp, you don't really have the opportunity to work on projects or participate in planning, all things that I would really like to be able to do. Also, I would really like some health insurance. I'll get there, I have my foot in many doors and I'm building my resume as we speak!

No comments: