Thursday, June 24, 2010

An idea to try

So I've been thinking about how I can apply active and critical teaching techniques to a one shot IL session.  One idea that I have is sort of a free form exploration of the library website.  Most library websites are designed to be a one stop shop for your information needs, but I find that many student do not know how to use it right off the bat.  However, I suspect that many of them, if left to their own devices, could figure out how it works through exploration.  So, I want to take this natural ability to learn through exploration and put it in the more structured setting of a classroom.  Perhaps I could start with a few open ended questions like, What do you notice first about the page? Then, based on their response, I could cover the Catalog or the Databases or whatever struck them first, incorporating other research skills such as search strategy as we discuss features of the website.  Thus covering the research tools and concepts at the same time, so that students can see how they work together.  hmm....

No comments: